Penwith Radio 96.5 & 97.2 FM: The Dawn of a New Era



What is a dream? What is a dream?



A dream is a goal,

An inspiration,

A dream is where Hope lives

A dream is something to chase when life drags us down,


A dream is a song in the wilderness,


Good flowering from the mud of evil.


That is a dream.


Get yourself a dream,


Touch God and pray


And never, ever let your dream get away. 

With you, my dearest, my dream is always near. Thank you very much. 


4 years ago I had a vision, that vision was a dream but so real. I was 26 years old and life 

as I knew it was evolving around. Community Radio was fairly new to me and all I knew of 

Radio stations was the BBC National Stations and one local BBC Cornwall, there was also 2 

local independent stations originally just the one. My skills were very unknown in the art 

of media, yes like most of you I often pretended to be a Radio Presenter by making mix 

tapes and passing them onto family members. But that was nothing like I was going to do. I

bumped into my old




school teacher (not old as in old but as in

Former) Alan Jones, now I often got on 

quite well with Alan as he was often my

calling point in school when I felt low or

emotional. He was also just "cool" and often

"with it". That day Alan was going to 

Falmouth to perform for 24 hours 

performing live magic. He spoke of this radio station he was now at in Penzance, he

spoke of the passion and flavour that it had to offer, even though it was at the time

only an online radio station. 

I thought after that to listen 

to this new exciting online 

radio station, that station was 

Penwith Radio. I listened to

 Alan present his show and 

very often Timothy Carr 

presenting Tim's Mystery Year, 

this was good as it showed a 

lot of potential as a online 

station. One day I decided to 

stay listening and the show 

after Alan was Dave Pascoe.

Dave had the local sounding

voice that you can tell where 

he is from. That day I tuned in

as Dave was interviewing

Simon May. My presence was

known by then by all at the

station so Dave knew who I 

was. I actively engaged in such

a way I felt I had to do more.

So after Dave had finished 

his show I rang up Dave and asked if there was any way of me being involved, of which 

he said yes. I originally was a Community Correspondent and my other role was Junior

Producer (Sidekick) to Dave and Alan on their shows to learn how to work the desk and 

software, because Radio as I used to know it was records or tapes, but in this day of age it

is all MP3s and on hard drive. I then had the training behind me so I was given the role of 

relief presenter I covered for Presenters who was ill or couldn't make their own show. I 

first went on air solely to cover for George Care on Cosmopolitan Cornwall. I was then 


given a 1 hour "Lunchtime Live" show in which I played requests and spoke of 

community issues. For the next six months I did this, before going away on a sabbatical.This was the case for the next three years. The year is now 2014 and as this post is being posted the small community Radio Station in which I have been a big part of 

is being launched onto FM on 96.5 & 97.2 I personally like to thank everyone at Penwith Radio for helping me.





Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post