Humanity

Kate, the writer of this poem, was unable to speak, but was occasionally seen to write.
After her death, her hospital locker was emptied and this poem was found.

What do you see, nurses, what do you see?

What are you thinking when you look at me?

A crabbit old woman, not very wise,

Uncertain of habit with far-away eyes

Who dribbles her food and makes no reply

When you say in a loud voice “I do wish you’d try”.

Who seems not to notice the things that you do

And forever is losing a stick or a shoe

Who unresistingly or not lets you do as you will,

With bathing and feeding – the long day to fill.

Is that what you’re thinking? Is that what you see?

Then open your eyes nurse – you’re looking at me.

I’ll tell you who I am as I sit here so still

As I move at your bidding, as I eat at your will.

I’m a small child of ten with a father and mother,

Brothers and sisters who love one another.

A young girl of sixteen with wings on her feet,

Dreaming that soon a lover she’ll meet.

A bride soon, at twenty my heart gives a leap

Remembering the vows that I promised to keep.

At twenty-five now I have young of my own

Who need me to build a secure happy home.

A young woman of thirty my young now grow fast

Bound to each other with ties that should last.

At forty my young ones now grown will be gone

But my memory stays beside me to see I don’t mourn.

At fifty, once more babies play round my knee

Again, we know children my loved one and me.

Dark days are upon me: my husband is dead

I look at the future, I shudder with dread.

For my young are all busy rearing young of their own

And I think of the years and the love I have known.

I’m an old woman now and nature is cruel

The body it crumbles, grace and vigour depart

There now is a stone where I once had a heart.

But inside this old carcass a young girl still dwells

And now and again my battered heart swells

I remember the joys, I remember the pain

And I’m loving and living life over again

I think of the years – all too few – gone too fast

And accept the stark fact that nothing can last

So open your eyes, nurses, open and see

Not a crabbit old woman….. look closer, see ME.
 



So my main question, what does Humanity mean to you?

Humanity on a simple level means "being human". But I also think the word "humanity" has a positive spin, implying our ability to empathize and feel compassion for one another, and then acting in such a way to improve another human's life.

I think people are unique genetically because humans must be diverse to survive (theory of evolution, etc). The number one thing I've learned from living in different places is that everyone is pretty much the same everywhere...in other words, the same types of people are everywhere...whether it be a rural area, a big city, another country...and we're all not that unique, but because we can't really read each other's minds, we all think that our pain is not understandible to the next human, though it's the same.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post